Pages 1

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Kourtney Kardashian Bun: The Perfect Fall (and Rainy Day) Hair-do

This lovely miserable rainy weather that we had yesterday and looks like we will be having in the next few weeks brings with it many gifts. Let's list some off; having to carry umbrellas everywhere, chunky rainboots must be subbed in in place of our adorable shoes, and, my favorite of them all, ruining any chance of a cute hair day! If you're like me, the humidity alone seems to penetrate inside my hair creating a pouf of ugly that is untamable and unfixable in rainy weather. Not to mention the days I so often forget my umbrella and the nasty misty rain falls directly atop my hair creating, once again, a frizzy hair disaster.
As I watched the Kim's Fairy Tale Wedding 2-day, 4 hour special on E! (Don't act like you didn't tune in too) I payed close attention to Kourtney Kardashian (as I always do...she's got the cutest clothes, cutest baby, and cutest hair styles so naturally I gravitate..). I digress, I had always noticed her fun top bun (see picture below), and the many times I tried mine looked like a tiny lump on top of my head. A major hair DON'T. Clearly the problem here was lack of length of hair. If you're like me and have not quite long but not quite short hair, attempting this hair-do will land you looking like a fool with a tiny, non-bun bun on the top of your head. I looked like I had the amount of hair as a newborn, and thus I gave up on the top-of-the-head bun. Now, fast forward to this past weekend while I was watching the wedding, and once again was bitten with the Kourtney Kardashian Bun bug. I had to make it work. I tried again, and failed again, with my not long enough hair. I opened my hair supplies drawer to replace my bobby pins, giving up once again on the idea of this hair do. But then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a large, bright red, velvet scrunchy circa 1988 that was kept for unknown reasons. This sparked an idea. I would use this to create volume under my hair to make the bun look substantial. Success!!! I created my very own Kourtney Kardashian bun and it looked GREAT! Follow these steps to try for yourself! This hairdo is a perfect one for the rainy days as it simply sit atop your head all wrapped up and unable to frizz up! Get it wet, stand in the wind, whatever you do, as long as it's done right and hairsprayed you will look great!
What You'll Need:
1. A large scrunchy of any color (your hair will cover it if done right!)- time to dig up those 80's accessories ladies!)
2. A regular hair band
3. Bobby Pins
4. Hair Spray
What You'll Do
1. Put your hair up in a high ponytail with your regular hair band (high as in top of your head, you'll wrap hair/scrunchy around this so the higher you want the bun the higher you should put your pony)
2. Put your scrunchy doubled over your hair band
3. Begin by pulling some hair from the back of your pony over the front of the scrunchy and wrap under (all wrappings of hair should go the same way). Then pull more hair to cover the next part of scrunchy and wrap it back and under the scrunchy.
4. Once all hair is spread around the scrunchy, wrapped, and tucked back in and under it should be secured. I go ahead and secure with bobby pins juuuust to be sure!
5. I also have long side bangs, for those of you who do not, disregard this step. I take my bangs OUT of the pony tail before I start the bun. At this step I take the chunk of hair, twist it up and back around the back of the bun, and secure it into the bun with a bobby pin.
6. Spray with lots of hairspray and you're done! You did it! Congrats!

Now go out and flaunt that Kdash top bun!
I like to style with fun/dramatic eye makeup! Also looks great with some thick framed glasses for some fun!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment